Sunday, October 20, 2013

Must Reads!




This weekend has been glorious.  I have spend many hours cleaning my house, watching tv, getting a massage, and reading.  After the refreshing weekend, I've decided that it's time to return to blogging. In lieu of my return to blogging, I am sharing with you some of the fun find blogs I've discovered during this weekend's return to sanity and relaxation.

1.  Curbing the Caffeine Addiction 

Madison, from Espresso and Cream, spoke to my soul as I read this post.  Lately, I've been feeling really crappy.  Stress does a number on my body and it also encourages me to drink mass amounts of Diet Coke and coffee.  (Stress also kills my bank account because I love fountain pop and pumpkin spice latte's are back at Starbucks! ) She encouraged me to cut back on the caffeine and start drinking more herbal tea and water!  Please feel free to comment below on ways to help me not die from the withdrawals! 

2. Allowing Students to Run Wild

Megan, my kindred soul from M*Print, shares about allowing her students to wow her on their own.  She let her kids be what they wanted to be - sportscasters and gave them expectations and loved that her kids met them :) I also loved that she gave her kids real life ways to be writers/composers!  
I'm being observed by my principal this week and I have decided to use a lesson that requires my kids to create rather than just discuss.  I hoping that the "running wild" that I am allowing them to do during the lesson helps prove Megan's theory that students need the chance to "run wild."  

3. Best Practices?

I've been spending some time on Terie's site, Crazy Teaching.  She is a teacher who believes in her students and believes in teachers.  She uses Standards Based Teaching and she exudes well-thought out optimism.  This post "Best Practices?" and many others have reminded me that it's important to stay focused on what I want my students to learn. 
Many times in the last few weeks, I have been frustrated with all the distractions in school - early release days, assemblies, in-service days.  I feel that I have not achieved much with my students.  It's like every time we get into a routine, we have a day off or a day with 20 minute classes.  She reminds me that I need to continue to create a classroom centered around my students gaining skills that they need and where they know what they are being asked to do.  

Best, 

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited! Thank you so much for the mention.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...