Sunday, July 28, 2013

ERMAHGERD!!! It's a meme!

Memes are one of my favorite sources of humor and procrastination.  They combine my love for visual humor with pop culture, literature, and word play.  What is a meme you ask? :  A meme is a captioned image that has taken over the Internet by storm.  This weekend as I was scanning the memes of Pintrest I stumbled across some of these:
Source

Ok, this one is technically an e-card, but its a similar idea to memes ... and
it was just too funny!
Source

Source
Haha :) its a baby!
This is a play on the Dos X beer ad. But I think this is more fun !! 

I've used memes in my classroom some last year.  I displayed this one as students came in for their finals review this past spring:


and I often find ones that link to what are are talking about in class.  The students find them humorous and I hope that it gets them talking about the stuff in class without me having to initiate it :) Here are a few I hope to use with my freshman this fall:
Source
I hope, if you know Poe and you know Jay-Z , that you will find this one humorous :)
I made this one myself using ImgFlip for the beginning of the year rules.
 Do you know what film this originates from?

I also found this classroom rules Prezi presentation that a teacher made.  This would be a fun way to make syllabus day be more engaging.  


But as I continue to think about memes and what they've done for Facebook, Twitter, and the general communication/humor world, I wonder what really integrating them into a classroom would do. I've played with meme creators on my own such as MemeGenerator ,  ImgFlip , and Quickmeme.  Personally, I like the layout of ImgFlip best, but it's a personal preference.  Each of meme generator allows you to use a popular meme image or upload your own image. Students could chose from an creator and then upload the meme to a classroom blog, email it to the teacher, or share it on the school's network.  
Having students create memes hits Bloom's 2nd highest level of understanding: Synthesis
  • Students could create a meme for a character in a story- thinking about the character's perspective
  • Students could create a popular image meme for a concept/ theme in the story that links to real life
  • Students could create a meme for a literary concept in a fictional story
  • Students could create a meme to emphasize a main point or argument in a non-fiction piece
  • The options are endless when using memes to have students critically think about something and re-organize the information
  • You could even take student thinking to the next Bloom's level, evaluation, by having them argue for which meme's fit a scenario best or which student's meme best fits the character in the story, etc.  
Have you used meme's in your classroom??? What other technology have you used in your classroom that integrate higher level thinking skills?? 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...